Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Starbucks

Hey friends
So besides dealing with rats and mosquitos, I do have some other stories. ( though there is a plethara more if you want :) )
Something that is mind blowing to me is the dicotomy of Thailand. Bangkok has many extremes with in it. Part of this is the mixture of buddists teachings and animism, and some of it is just pure Thai fun.
1) Thai buddist teaching: Do not take life (because it is bad karma and you could be killing an ansestor)
Thai life style I've observed--Eat meat at most meals and let mangy, sick, mean dogs run wild in the streets.
2) Thai buddist teaching: Avoid suffering and be unattached to material things or people
Picture this: A mangy, dirty homeless dog with broken legs. It will die on it's own very soon and yet someone has built it a dog wheelchair. Yes a dog wheelchair with a brace around it's body and wheels where the hind broken legs are. Most likely someone trying to make merit.
3) Thai buddist teaching: Do good, be kind and generous
Practice: Do as much merit building as you can (buying things for the monks and temples, helping some around you.. ect) so you can do whatever you feel like doing--gambling, drinking away your kids lunch money ect.
4) Lastly my favorite
Thai Buddist teaching: Simplicity is honored
Reality-- a starbucks and nice shopping center just opened up minutes from my house--I'm closer to a starbucks in my slum in Thailand than I was in the states. I actually pass it everyday on my way to language lesson. Starbucks is really taking over the world, but I don't understand how they stay open when a cup of coffee is 3-4 times as much as any full meal.

Okay so we all have wierd dicotomy things in our life, but for now I'm intriqued with Thailand's
Here's to a rat house in the slums and starbucks on my corner. What a life I live.

2 comments:

janel said...

Oh Christy, I can't seem to get those rats out of my mind, and I have this visual photo of them crawling over you. Just wanted to say hello, and tell you that I think of you every day and hope each day brings blessings and joy. Thanks for the update on your blog, it is always a treat.
Hugs,
sunni

Debbie L said...

Dog wheelchair! You really saw this! This is hysterical. Christy, I always enjoy hearing your perspective on things. I hope the thought of these dog wheelchairs are not keeping you awake at night! love you!

debbie