Saturday, June 27, 2009

Just a little Girl



Bang--She's 11. Too old to be small and to small to be grown up. When I first met her, she was indeed a little girl, but over the past year I have seen her struggle with growing up. Her Cousin was born and she so often is seen parenting this little girl. She tries to play tough and even has taken a teaching role with the other kids. On any given day I see her waver from being "too cool" to hang out with me to begging to come in and play.
A couple of weeks ago I had the kids in watching Chronicles of Narnia. It started out with alot of kids coming in a watching--with, of course, Bang instructing them where to sit and when to be quite. As the movie went on--the younger kids lots interest. As the numbers dwidled. Bang came laying her head in my lap, At more intesnse parts she'd grab my hand and cover her eyes. She layed there for a good 30 minutes. I didn't say anything, didn't want to ruin the moment. I was reminded of just how young she is. It's a rariety she gets to be a kid, a ratiety she doensn't have to mother and train her 8 month old cousin, a rariety she can just be taken care of. Though my foot was falling asleep, I let her lay there--being a little girl.

It was a gentle and sweet reminder that I too need space to be a little girl. Too often I come to Jesus with big problems--seeking questions to huge answers. There's a time to be big and there's a time to just sit in the Lap of Jesus--being a little girl with her heavenly Father. Free to say I'm scared, free to say I need a lap of comfort, free to say "I don't have it all fiqured out--And that's okay"

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the reminder friend :)