Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Missing Shon Kran

Several times during Shon Kran I found myself proclaiming, "I love Bangkok" "Every country should have a national water fight. Shon Kran was so much fun.
As pictured above: Trucks drove buy pouring water on others who are standing on the street pouring water on them. These were the best pictures I could get before being doused myself.
What's strange about Thailand though is how things can change so quickly. The days before Shon Kran--Typical Crazy Bangkok then 4 days of national water throwing--many stores were closed and many families noticablly had gone upcountry. Then the very next day things were back to normal Crazy Bangkok and then a terencial downpour. It went from 105 * to 89* and reallly humid because it's pouring rain. Strange.
In many ways life in Bangkok seems to follow the life of those in transition. One day you think wow I'm doing well in Language, the next day you have a sense you don't know anything. Some days I wake up thinking ," I love my life, my home, my neighbors" and the next day you think, " OH my goodness, did I really move to a slum in Bangkok Thailand for many years. It's all thai to me. "
Mostly I have to say I love my life.
May I add this week has been especially good because I got a two packages, mangosteen season is finally here, and had 3 different Thai women in my house this weekend. One we even watched the movie I AM LEGEND with in Thai starring Will Smith--Which proved to be a slightly creepy and disturbing movie that had great similarities to the Life of Christ. Despite the vampires or zombies or whatever you call the rabid creatures ,we were able to share about Christ with our neighbor after watching it. (if you haven't seen it it's a little strange, but can be used to discribe darkness and light and how Jesus came to allow those living in darkness to enter the light.) It's also a great movie to watch with Thai's as they love ghost/ scary movies . So this week I love Thialand, Well see it might be raining next week. You never know.

No comments: