Thursday, June 19, 2008

Say it like it is.

So first off yesterday I saw a dog being walked by it's owner. Not strange, but what made this one unique was that the dog had dyed eyebrows. Yes I saw it correctly. The owner had dyed her dog's fur to look like it had eye brows. Somethimes this land is so strange.

But speaking of camparisions, Thailand loves to make blunt and direct comparisions about anything and everything. Thankfully I feel pretty secure about my self, but I have to say the things people say are funny.
On the same day wearing the same outfit I have some people telling me Christy you're getting fatter, and some other people say Christy you're getting skinnier. On the same day.
One older lady in my neighbor hood, everytime she sees me squeezes my arm and in the most loving tone possible says, "ahh you're fat, just perfect."
Recently my landlord has been loving to tell me that when she first met me I was fat, but now I am skinny--my stomach is smaller, my neck is longer (how that is possible I'm not sure), but one part of me is still big--it's the part that is never big on Thai's. Let's just say Thai's love to comment on that which is different from me and them :) This same landlord loves to tell me, "Don't eat western food like bread or choclate because it will make you fat.", but yesterday she and my language partner Goop suddenly changed their mind. Christy you keep getting skinnier and skinnier, You need to eat more Thai dessert because if your mom and dad see you they will think that Thai people starve you. Eat more Thai food we don't want your parents to worry about you.
I assured them that I'm not wasting away or that my parents aren't worried about me starving here- I do eat plently of Thai food.

So apperently I can be fat or skinny and depending on the person and the day I'm just right.

Personally I think it is funny how blunt and endering Thai people can be--it's kind of freeing to just hear it like it is without feeling affended.

2 comments:

chik said...

Hey babe. You look really skinny in your profile picture today!

Unknown said...

I think you are just right!
Alta