Monday, June 16, 2008

When it rains it pours

So last week, Ironically it's raining now which is why I have time to post this, it rained. And by it rained I mean IT RAINED. I have never seen such down pour in my life. Streets were flooded in about 5 minutes. ( okay for you california's this is not normal anywhere but California--especially in the city of Bangkok where they are built for massive amounts of rain). Thai people were saying, "I'm scared" It was pretty ridiculous. Where was I, you ask? I was getting off the bus. Water was bouncing off the streets and umbrella or not, eveyone was drenced. I ran from the busstop to get under a canonopy where they sell fruit and food. Many people where standing under this tarp hoping to wait out the rain, when Thunder, lightening, and tarp ripping all happened simutanously. Water proceeded to stream like a water fall into the market. Thai's were screaming and running for better cover. One women grapped be by the elbow and said, "It's better over there." We managed to crowd under a metal overpass with many other nervous Thai's. I --not understanding that this storm was absolutlely crazy was intriqued. I felt cared for by a Thai woman I don't even know and stunned by the reality that rain could fall that hard. Everyone starts to calm down when a huge centipitee starts crawling our way. This erupts the Thai's again and everyone is screaming --doing the "I think there is a bug on me dance". And then someone shouts ,"There is a foriener here". That's right their talking about me. Everyone looks, I smile and wave and all hovering and calmness return to order. I'm not sure what surprised them more --the lightening, the centipide or the white girl standing amongst them. When the rain let up a little bit I ran to the place where I pick up the next mode of transportation. And yes it starts to pour yet again and the mini bus isn't there. I wait under another pass with more Thai's--all staring out at the ridicoulous rain fall. I look over and who do I see, but my landlord--completely sopping. She forgot her umbrella. We talk for a while and then she drags me to a bus I didn't even know exsisted. When we get off the bus, It's still raining, so we proceed to hug each other and walk under my umbrella together. Nothing brings two people closer together than getting caught in the rain that falls harder that cats and dogs. It was a really fun time.

Unfortunately some of my neighbors lost thier roofs, but I'm happy to report that the next day they where laughing about it and helping each other rebuild that which blew away.

No comments: