Thursday, June 26, 2008

They say cultural shock will hit

So I didn't think cultural shock would really affect me, but apparently a string of small things can cause someone to feel a little crazy.
This past week--I think I understand the sense of feeling a little out of control. Thankfully I serve a God who is in control especially when I am not.

Episode 1) I mention to my neighbor that I want to get a haircut--which means she leads me out of my house to a local hair salon at 9pm in the evening. Where my head is massaged, washed. I'm siting in the chair and my neighbor and hair dresser proceed to speak really fast in Thai about my hair to each other. I keep hearing , "it's better, it's better" What's better?--oh snip--the bangs I had intentionally worked for 1 year and 1/2 to grow out were back in a split second.

Episode 2) I go to order a cold tea from a place I have gotten cold tea from before only to recieve a salty fruit smoothie with tomatoes in it. NOT GOOD may I add.

So far in my week, I'm handing things well for I am a flexible person and really none of this is a big deal...

Episode 3) See and hear rats running behind my head while I"m sleeping for several nights in a row. (nothing new right?) One night one of my earplugs fell out and I was woken up to hear rats but my earplug was no where to be found. Strange you think

Episode 4) In response to episode 3 I put out 25=30 pieces of rat poison to find the next mornig all of them devoured.

Episode 5) The rats have not only eaten all of the pieces I left out for them but have found the stash of rat poision in the drawer we have. Not only did they open the sealed box but then decided to scatter the rat posion through out other drawers. Yes there were chewed up pieces of rat poison all through out my clothing drawers.

Still doing good. Only slightly annoyed. And then Sara and I come home last night.

Episode 6) Found the missing earplug from nights before--it was in my clothing drawer clearly chewed up.

Episode 7) Ants had managed to make their way into a new unopened bag of rice. They were all throughout the bag. How do Ants get into an Unopened bag of Rice. AHHH

Episode 8) After dinner I head to the restroom. Only to find a dead baby rat on our bathroom floor. (yes this is the 3rd time we have had a rat just dye on our floor)

I start to loose it. I'm laughing and screaming, " I don't like rats" (in Thai, may I add.) But still laughing.

Episode 9) Getting on the bus this morning I end up wacking my head as I go to sit down on the bus--quick need a destraction so I don't cry on public transportation. I open my wallet only to see wallet sized photos of my family that I love so much. Close wallet, not helping.

Episode 10) ****** Special note, This happened while I was typing this email********
I'm sitting at my desk and an ant crawls on my arm.

Not major right?, Episode 10 was the straw that broke the camels back. I lost it. Shook the ant off my arm and starting weeping, sobbing. Intermixed with lauging.
While in Pomona we had a motto. Laugh or Cry, well in bangkok when Cultural shock officially hits--it's a mixure of both. Sob and Laugh, Weep and Cry.

***my teammate lexie was in the office at the time, and at first look really confused, and then comforted me and prayed for me, Encouraging me with her own stories of cultural shock. It's normal even when the events really aren't normal. *****

Thankfully I have a God who is in control even when I definelty am not.

6 comments:

chik said...

I hope you're feeling better, boo. It must be hard not to question God when such things happen, like, "Why did You create rats?" Or, "Why does it take so long to grow out bangs when unwanted hair (leg, armpits, mustache -- not that you have one) take no time at all??!!"

Unknown said...

Christy, I'm glad you are so real and humorous in describing your experiences. Mom felt with you for the snip of your bangs. We now have an additional thing to pray about. PS: the RHCC bulletin had mention of you on their prayer calendar for July 17th(we visited to hear Denis Wadley speak). PPS: Your nephews and niece really liked the gifts. Andrew keeps trying to call Ahh-EE (you) on his play phone. Love

Chrissie en Ciudad México said...

oh christy, you are a much stronger woman than i...i would have lost it when they didn't give me my cold tea!! but then again you know how i feel about tea! i saw some old sp people today and it made me miss ya bad! i love you lots and you are in my thoughts and prayers...a more involved email will be on its way shortly with my list of sytycd faves! miss and love.

David said...

Hey! bangs are not the worse thing in the world. "White People" like them. :)

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/06/27/104-girls-with-bangs/

janel said...

Oh Christy,
There must have been a reason that I read your blog today. I am praying for you right now. You are amazing in your faith and your sense of humor. I would have started the tears @ Episode 2.
Thinking and praying for you. Sending love and hugs!
sunni

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet girl! We love you so much! It all came down at once - so many things in themselves not HUGE deals but culminating into being overwhelming! I wish we could give you lots of hugs. Know we are praying for you. We thank God that He IS in control, weeps when we weep, has a sense of humor, loves and takes care of us.
I'm sorry about the bangs! Alta