Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What happens when you don't know Thai yet?


You learn the word Satlong.

I believe it translates to tinsel or garland or just maybe human Christmas tree I'm not quite sure, but I do know that my time here has been good so far. Thai people are so generous and helpful. When you're riding on the bus and you're standing holding a bag you almost always get someone who is sitting down offering to hold the bag for you. Thoughtful.


What else do you do when you don't know Thai? You blunder through a few phrases you've learned and hope you don't get a completly puzzeled look from your nieghbors. You also point at random food stands and hope you get something to eat that tastes good. Which may I say, Thai food is for the most part delicious-spicy, flavorful, and filling. I say for the most part because I already have eaten Fish stomach soup with liver (or coagulated blood, i'm not sure). It has the consistancy of pork fat and looks like intestines. Not my favorite thing I've eaten thus far, but we ate it a Thai Funeral for one of the neighbors in Photong and and I didn't get sick :).


Thai funeral's are quite an interesting cultural experience. The are held at a Thai temple with monks who are invited to chant to help the "spirit" ascend to "heaven". Thai's are greatly afraid of ghosts and being haunted by their ancestors. There is no hope and a lot of fear. So what do you do when you don't know Thai? You pray. You pray for God's hope to shine through and for the neighbors you're meeting ,who are lost, to know peace. You pray Jesus' way will be evident and that people will be free. You pray.


P.S Thankfully, I start language learning officially today, so more interesting stories still to come.

1 comment:

Debbie L said...

I love your stories Christy! Defintely sounds like quite an adventure!